With the countdown now on to race day, fueling your race adequately is very important. Check out these top nutrition tips from Louise Sharkey at Vita- Nutrition.
Nutrition Tips For Marathon Running Nutrition
1. DO NOT change any of your diet in the run up to and the morning of the race. Eat food that you normally eat, if you do not eat a lot of carbs do not start carb-loading now.
2. Take a Dioralyte the day before and the morning of the race to ensure adequate electrolyte levels. Even without hot weather, electrolytes are lost during exercise which can affect muscle function.
3. Have easy to digest meals the days before, for your evening meal before race keep it simple, chicken/fish with some white rice and greens. All easy to digest but contain an appropriate amount of carbs, proteins and fats.
4. On the morning of the race have your usual breakfast at least 3 hours before, ideally, porridge made with whole milk and some berries +/- an egg.
5. 1-2 hours before the race consume some easy to digest foods like dried fruits, crackers, banana etc plus hydrating liquids like water.