Here’s a brief history of the last 27 years of my sporting ‘career’. I started racing a bike back in 1985 at age 13. I got 25 good years out of it with varying degrees of success, a regular on munster squads and a member of the national squad panel as a junior.
– On moving up to the senior ranks I won the a3 national champs.
– Regular racing on the domestic scene, I rode the FBD milk Ras (an Post Ras) back in 2002 with the Kerry County Team. (A Corkman being accepted into the ranks of a Kerry team is a big achievement).
– Started Triathlon at the tail end of 2007
– Competed in 2 half Ironman at the Lost Sheep in Kenmare with a 4.42 best.
– Regular top 5 and top 10 in regional Tri’s around Munster over the last few years.
– Competed at European duathlon champs in Limerick last year, got off the bike a lap too early while lying in 5th place on the road in 35/39 age group. I can laugh at it now! DQ’d.
– Concentrating on running this year due to time constraints, Got a pb for 5 last week 29.57.
– completed first marathon in Cork last June with a 3.28.
– Taken to barefoot running big time in the last few months. loving it.
– Married to Jenny with 2 lovely daughters down in Fermoy