Home News Ireland’s Martin Fagan dropped out of the Men’s Marathon in Beijing last...

Ireland’s Martin Fagan dropped out of the Men’s Marathon in Beijing last Sunday.


Fagan pulled out just before the 35km mark. The event was won by Kenya’s Samuel Wanjiru in a time of 2 hours, 6 minutes, and 32 seconds – a new Olympic record. It was Kenya’s first ever victory in the Olympic Men’s Marathon event.

Morocco’s Jaouad Gharib took the silver medal after finishing 44 seconds behind Wanjiru.

The bronze medal was won by Tsegay Kebede of Ethiopia, who overtook compatriot Deriba Merga on the final lap in the Bird’s Nest Stadium.

The race came alive at the 20km mark when five runners split from the leading pack.

The quintet comprised Gharib, two Kenyans in three-time London Marathon winner Martin Lel and Wanjiru, second in this year’s London Marathon.

The other two were Eritrean Yonas Kifle and Ethiopia’s Deriba Werga, who had timed his personal best at the London Marathon but had been over a minute behind Wanjiru.

Several of the favourites failed to cope with the hot conditions, especially defending champion Stefano Baldini of Italy.

The 37-year-old was out of contention early on as the European champion failed to find the spark he had in Athens four years ago and was to finish 12th.

America’s hopes of ending on a winning note also died around that time as Ryan Hall, who has impressed since he switched from running the mile, also found nothing when the quintet split.

By the 30km mark, though, the picture had dramatically changed as Wanjiru and Werga upped the pace and Gharib, Lel, who should on form have been able to go with them as he owned the fastest time this year among those running, and Kifle could not find anything.

However, while Lel and Kifle floundered, 36-year-old Gharib drew on all his championship winning experience and somehow managed to reel in the front two, setting up what looked sure to be a thrilling climax.

The trio were still intact as they passed the 35km marker with Wanjiru leading them out.

Behind them Kifle had squirmed free of a tiring Lel, who was beginning to look behind him in a sure sign of desperation, but the Eritrean faced a tough task in getting back to the leaders as he was nearly a minute-and-a-half adrift.

Shortly after that Wanjiru went up a gear to test out the other two and found Werga wanting, though Gharib stuck to him like a limpet.

But even he could not keep up the pace and by the time they got to 40km the young Kenyan had established a clear gap between himself and the Moroccan.

With two kilometres to go, as they appeared under the shadow of the stadium, the game was clearly up for Gharib, who had an 18-second gap to make up if he were to add Olympic gold to his two world titles.

But Wanjiru was not for cracking and strode to a memorable victory – raising his left arm in celebration on entering the stadium and was still full of running as he rounded off a highly satisfying Games for the Kenyans.

Werga faded so badly that what had looked at one point could be gold turned to nothing as Kebede passed him on the final lap round the track.

Tools:Print Share Live: Olympics AM The Irish: Day-by-Day Round-Up Features: Blogs, galleries and more…
Top StoriesEgan must settle for silver medal
Fagan fails to finish Marathon
Barnes presented with bronze medal
Cammarelle eases to gold
USA seal basketball domination