James Sexton Reports (athenry AC website) Rory Chesser and Veronica Colleran are the masters in the Lees Road Cross Country Races
Ennis Track Club’s 1st Annual open cross country Juvenile and Senior Cross Country Races took place at the Lees Road Sports Complex with fine fields in all races. There were races for Juveniles from U/8 to U/16’s and the benign weather conditions made it ideal for fast running for the juvenile athletes with Thurles Crokes dominating all races with individual wins in the Girls U/8’s, Girls U/10’s, Girls and Boys U/12’s, and boys U/14’s and they also captured Team victories in the girls and boys U/8’s, U/10’s, and U/12 girls.
Veronica Colleran of Ennis Track recorded a big win in the senior ladies (4000metres) from Catherine Kelly Dundrum Tipperary and Eimear Martin Sportsworld third with Ennis Track taking the team award.
Rory Chesser Ennis Track was the surprise winner of the senior mens (8000metres) over a very highly fancied Gerry Ryan Galway City Harriers and John Downes Donore Harriers with Ennis Track Club taking the Team title ahead of Kilmurry Ibrickane/North Clare and Marian.
The ideal weather conditions made for fast running and athletes from all over Clare and Tipperary contested all the races with the girls U/8’s Kara O’Connor beating her Clubmate Shona Cleary both Thurles Crokes and a fine third Fidelma Marrinan St Johns with Thurles Crokes taking the team title on (18pts) from the host club Ennis Track on (42pts) and third Marian on (69pts) the boys U/8’s a big win here for Kieran Keane St Cronans who produced a big sprint to beat Michael Purcell Thurles Crokes and Arfuok Sobayo Ennis Track with again Thurles Crokes taking the Team Title on (21pts) second Ennis Track on (43pts) and third Kilmurry Ibrickane/North Clare on (60pts).
The girls U/10 600metres Thurles Crokes dominating once again with Nicole Loughnane and Karen Kennedy taking gold and silver with Abimbola Sobayo Ennis Track the early leader holding on for third spot with Thurles Crokes taking the Team Title on (17pts) ahead of St Johns on (38pts) and third Kilmurry Ibrickane/North Clare on (59pts) the boys U/10’s 600metres Brian Devitt Ennis Track better known as a sprinter produced a big finish to claim this title ahead of Rory Purcill Thurles Crokes and Wayne Linnane St Marys with Thurles Crokes taking another Team Award on (30pts) and a close second were Kilmurry Ibrickane/North Clare on (37pts) third were Tulla on (62pts).
There was a mighty contest in the girls U/12’s with Laura Loughnane Thurles Crokes outsprinting her clubmate Kora Kerrane on the home straight to win by the narrowest of margin with Orla Devitt Ennis Track coming through to take third and again another Team Award going to Thurles Crokes on (16pts) from St Johns on (35pts) and third Ennis Track on (40pts) and in the boys U/12 900metres Paul Shanahan Thurles Crokes holding off a stiff challenge from Micheal Moloney Ennis Track to take the title with Patrick Chesser Ennis Track third and a big here for the host club taking the Team Title on (20pts) this time Thurles Crokes having to settle for second on (30pts).
Paula Loughnane St Cronans made the early running in the girls U/14 (1200metres) for the first of the two laps and on the final lap Aishling Darcy Ennis Track worked her way towards the front and with 200metres remaining she outsprinted this field in fine style to claim a mighty victory over Niamh Markham St Marys with Paula Loughnane taking third with Ennis Track packing well to take the Team Title on (38pts) from Thurles Crokes on (45pts) and third Kilmurry Ibrickane/North Clare on (70pts) the boys U/14 1500metres was a mighty contest with the early leader Conor Cleary Kilmurry Ibrickane/North Clare setting the pace and with 600metres to the finish Isacc Rae Ennis Track produced a big finish to take the title in fine style ahead of Eamon Chesser Ennis Track with the early leader Conor Cleary having to work hard to hold on third spot with Ennis Track taking the team title on ((24pts) and second Kilmurry Ibrickane/North Clare on (41pts).
The girls U/16 1500metres was a very well contested race right from the start and Laura Daly Ennis Track commanded this race from the front and on the home straight he produced a massive sprint to take this title ahead of Elaine Fitzgibbon Thurles Crokes and a fine third Niamh O’Loughlin Kilnaboy.
Padraig Hughes Thurles Crokes dominated the boys U/16’s to win by a fine margin from Darragh Chesser and Adrian Kearney both Ennis Track and Ennis Track taking the Team Title on (15pts).
The ladies race run over a distance of 4000metres attracted a fine turnout from Sportsworld, Dublin, West Muskerry Cork, Dundrum Tipperary, St. Marys, St Johns, Marian and the host Club Ennis Track Club with the race starting outside the Lees Road Club House and into the Wooded Area and running over a two lap course Veronica Colleran Ennis Track made the early running with Eimear Martin Sportsworld getting back after a long injury lay off was leading the second group that included Catherine Kelly Dundrum, Collette O’Riordan West Muskerry, with a further few metres back to Marian Burke St Marys, Claire Madigan St Johns and Marie Carey Ennis Track.
Veronica Colleran had this big field well strung out as she made her way out on her final lap and with rain starting to come down she recorded a very easy victory with Catherine Kelly having a very good last lap to finish second ahead of Eimear Martin and Collette Riordan finish very strong to take 4th with Ennis Track taking the Team Title 1st Veronica Colleran, 5th Marie Carey, 9th Siobhan Lennon and 11th Deirdre Daly for a total of (26pts).
The masters ladies O/35 title went to Marian Burke St Marys with Siobhan Lennon Ennis Track and a fine third Martina Ryan Thurles Crokes and a big win in the masters ladies O/40’s for Ita Hanrahan Ennis Track ahead of Marian O’Loughlin Ennis Track with the masters O/50’s going to Cushla Murphy Hehir Marian and the Junior Ladies to Claire Madigan St Johns.
The senior mens 8000metres race a very popular distance and here a fine field of athletes had to run over a four lap course and early break Gerry Ryan Galway City Harriers and Rory Chesser Ennis Track held that slight lead for the first lap with John Downes Donore Harriers former Irish International athlete a few metres off the leaders along with David Quinn Ennis Track and Michael Carmody Emerald battling for the junior Mens Title.
The second lap Rory Chesser and Gerry Ryan were running shoulder to shoulder and with fast underfoot conditions this race was developing into one great contest with Ger Guinnane West Limerick running a big race as he was right on the shoulder of John Downes and David Quinn was improving as the race progressed with Pat Nugent running well in the O/40’s as was Eugene Moynihan Marian in the O/50’s.
The final lap Rory Chesser running on fast ground produced his speed and strength to cause a major upset here when he opened a great lead to take this title in fine style ahead of the master of the roads Gerry Ryan with John Downes now in the O/40’s running well to finish third.
The senior mens team award went to Ennis Track Club with 1st Rory Chesser 4th David Quinn, 11th Micheal Keane and 12th Martin Glynn for a total of (28pts) second were Kilmurry Ibrickane/North Clare on (80pts) and third Marian on (80pts).
The battle for the masters O/40’s came down to a big finish with Pat Nugent who is no strainger to Lees Road came away with a mighty victory over Martin Corcoran Craughwell and Denis Mc Carthy East Cork with the O/45’s title going to Paraic Coen Ballinsloe .
The masters O/50’s was another fine contest this time Eugene Moynihan Marian taking the title ahead of James Kenny and Tom Mackey both Kilmurry Ibrickane/North Clare with the O/55’s going to Jim White Irvine A. C. Scotland from Denis Meaney St Marys and Kevin O’Loughlin Kilmurry Ibrickane/North Clare.
The Junior Mens was a very well contested race with David Quinn Ennis Track the man on form winning in style from Michael Carmody Emerald A. C. Limerick and third Seamus Gilhooley Athenry.
Girls U/8 (300m)
1. Kara O’Connor Thurles Crokes
2. Shona Cleary Thurles Crokes
3. Fidelma Marrinan St Johns
4. Emily Barry Marian
5. Tara Kelly St Marys
6. Aoifa Shanahan Thurles Crokes
1. Thurles Crokes (1, 2, 6, 9 Katie Ryan) = 18pts.
2. Ennis Track (7. Roisin Martin, 8. Emer Hanrahan, 13. Ciara Kennedy 14. Jemma Grady) = 42pts.
3. Marian (4. 12. Irene Neylon, 24. Meave Gleeson, 29. Sadhb Mc Dermott) = 69pts.
1. Nicole Loughnane Thurles Crokes
2. Karen Kennedy Thurles Crokes
3. Abimbola Sobayo Ennis Track
4. Aoifa Butler Thurles Crokes
5. Cliodhna Blake St Johns
6. Sharon Egan Kilmihil
1. Thurles Crokes (1, 2, 4, 10 Niamh Ryan) = 17pts.
2. St Johns (5. 7. Caoimhie Harvey, 8. Tara Bradley, 18. aine Murphy) = 38pts.
3. Kilmurry Ibrickane/North Clare (9. aine Rouine, 12. Elaine Shannon, 15. Ellie Parra Haren, 23. Katie Considine) = 59pts.
1. Laura Loughnane Thurles Crokes
2. Kora Kerrane Thurles Crokes
3. Orla Devitt Ennis Track
4. Ciara Ryan Kilnaboy
5. Nollaigh Blake St Johns
6. Kim Ryan Thurles Crokes
1. Thurles Crokes (1. 2. 6. 7. Emma Ryan ) = 16pts.
2. St Johns (5. 8. Rachel Clancy, 9. Siobhan Marrinan 13. Rose Marrinan) = 35pts
3. Ennis Track (3. Orla Devitt, 10. Rianet Sobyayo, 12. Semirat Saidi, 15. Niamh Donnelan) = 40pts.
1. Aishling Darcy Ennis Track
2. Niamh Markham St Marys
3. Paula Loughnane St Cronans
4. Laura Egan Kilmihil
5. Shauna Harvey St Johns
6. Karla O’Reilly Ennis Track
1. Ennis Track (1. 6. 10. Meave Hogan, 21. Jean Flanagan) = 38pts.
2. Thurles Crokes (7. Claire Lawless, 11. Andrea Loughnane, 12. Adie Burke, 5. Sinead Dunne) = 45pts
3. Kilmurry Ibrickane/North Clare (13. Roisin Considine, 17. Sinead Rouine, 18. Caoimhie Mc Mahon, 22. Louise Mackey) = 70pts
1. Laura Daly Ennis Track
2. Elaine Fitzgibbon Thurles Crokes
3. Niamh O’Loughlin Kilnaboy
4. Sarah Nugent St Cronans
5. Rachel Bleach Tulla
6. Sorcha Loughnane Marian
7. Claire O’Sullivan Fergus
Senior Ladies (4000m).
1. Veronica Colleran Ennis Track
2. Catherine Kelly Dundrum
3. Eimear Martin Sportsworld
4. Collette O’Riordan West Muskerry
5. Marie Carey Ennis Track
6. Patricia O’Brien Ind.
1. Ennis Track (1. Veronica Colleran, 5. Marie Carey, 9. Siobhan Lennon,11. Deirdre Daly) = 26pts
Masters Ladies O/35.
1. Marian Burke St Marys
2. Siobhan Lennon Ennis Track
3. Martina Ryan Thurles Crokes
1. Ita Hanrahan Ennis Track
2. Marian O’Loughlin Ennis Track
1. Cushla Murphy Hehir Marian
1. Claire Madigan St Johns
Boys U/8 (300m).
1. Kieran Keane St Cronans
2. Michael Purcell Thurles Crokes
3. Arfuok Sobayo Ennis Track
4. Sean Butler Thurles Crokes
5. Thomas Clancy St Johns
6. Tony Oduboce Ennis Track
1. Thurles Crokes (2, 4, 7, Cormack O’Connor, 8. Daniel O’Dwyer ) = 21pts.
2. Ennis Track (3, 6, 11. Sean Dolan, 23. Jack ) = 43pts.
3. Kilmurry Ibk/North Clare (12. Conor Malone, 14, Zak Mc Donagh, 15. Garry Twomey, 19. James Clancy) = 60pts.
1. Brian Devitt Ennis Track
2. Rory Purcell Thurles Crokes
3. Wayne Linnane St Marys
4. Gavin Dunne Thurles Crokes
5. Garry English Thurles Crokes
6. Ciaran Buckley Kilmurry Ibrickane/North Clare
1. Thurles Crokes (2, 4, 5, 19 Declan Kerr) = 30pts
2. Kilmurry Ibrickane/North Clare (6, 9. Brian Leyden, 10. Patrick Haren, 12, Patrick O’Rourke) = 37pts.
3. Tulla (8. Eoin Shanahan, 15. Ronan Harrison, 18. David Meehan, 21. Austin Mc Inerney) = 62pts.
1. Paul Shanahan Thurles Crokes
2. Michael Moloney Ennis Track
3. Patrick Chesser Ennis Track
4. Jacob Loughnane Marian
5. Enan Courtney Ennis Track
6. Paraic Mc Namara Marian
1. Ennis Track (2. 3, 5, 10. Eoin Hanrahan) = 20pts.
2. Thurles Crokes (1, 7. Ciara Dunne, 8. Patrick ryan, 14. Jessie O’Dwyer) = 30pts
1. Isacc Rae Ennis Track
2. Eamon Chesser Ennis Track
3. Conor Cleary Kilmurry Ibrickane/North Clare
4. Ian Slobody Kilmihil
5. Cian O’Brien Marian
6. Jack Brown St Marys
1. Ennis Track (1, 2, 8. Peter Maher13. Jonathon Martin) = 24pts.
2. Kilmurry Ibrickane/North Clare (3. 11. John O’Brien, 12. Padraigh Malone, 15. Drew Clancy) = 41pts.
1. Padraigh Hughes Thurles Crokes
2. Darragh Chesser Ennis Track
3. Adrian Kearney Ennis Track
4. Kevin Chesser Ennis Track
5. Shane O’Loughlin Kilnaboy
6. Colm Daly Ennis Track
7. Kieran O’Leary Kilnaboy
8. Jonathon Corbett Ennis Track
9. Eamon Forde Ennis Track
10. Diurmuid Kenneally Kilmurry Ibrickane/North Clare
1. Ennis Track (2, 3, 4, 6) = 15pts.
Senior Men (8000m).
1. Rory Chesser Ennis Track
2. Gerry Ryan Galway City Harriers
3. John Downes Donore Harriers
4. Ger Guinnane West Limerick
5. Micheal Keane Ennis Track
1. Ennis Track (1. Rory Chesser, 4. David Quinn, 11. Micheal Keane, 12. Martin Glynn) = 28pts.
2. Kilmurry Ibrickane/North Clare (14. James Kenny, 21. Tom Mackey, 22, Martin Clancy, 23. Michael Harvey) = 80pts.
3. Marian (9. Eugene Moynihan, 15. Brian Murphy, 26. Tom Geraghty, 30. Brian Spring) = 80pts.
Masters Men O/40.
1. Pat Nugent Ind.
2. Martin Corcoran Craughwell
3. Denis Mc Carthy East Cork
1. Padraic Coen Ballinasloe
1. Eugene Moynihan Marian
2. James Kenny Kilmurry Ibrickane/North Clare
3. Tom Mackey Kilmurry Ibrickane/North Clare
1. Jim White Irvine Scotland
2. Denis Meaney St Marys
3. Kevin O’Loughlin Kilmurry Ibrickane/North Clare
1. David Quinn Ennis Track
2. Michael Carmody Emerald
3. Seamus Gilhooley Athenry