Garmin FR 610

19 replies [Last post]
wjwalker

Has anyone any experience of the Garmin FR610?  Is worth the extra when compared with the FR200 or FR 410?  Was going to purchase the 610 online from Trekkinn.com?  Has anyone any views on this site?  Having sent them two emails without reply?

AmphKingWest
AmphKingWest's picture

Hi wjwalker, FR610 is miles ahead of the 210 and even the 410 units. It was brought out as an advanced model over the 410.
There was a previous question re the Trekkin site with some feedback on another thread.
A word of advice, if you are Ireland based buying Garmin abroad when it comes to warranty issues you will have to send the unit out of the country as it won't be dealt with in Ireland. Buy in an Irish shop and any warranty issues will be dealt with immediately with a replacement unit if necessary.
What kind of bundle are you looking for and what kind of budget are you aiming at?

wjwalker

Hi AmphKingWest, I am looking at the FR 610 with HRM simply because it seems to sort out the probs with the 405 and 410. ie the bezel.  
Because I essentially run and do my interval training on my own (5.30 am during the week and slightly later and for longer on weekends) a GPS with the virtual trainer/pacer I feel would really help with consistency etc.  Everybody I race against appears to have one. So I have decided to take the plunge. 
  As a matter of interest what are your thoughts on the 310xt v the 610?  Is the HRM worthwhile?  Use to have a polar but the band kept slipping. It wrecked my head. So I sold it.
 It's funny the more reviews you read the more uncertain you become. I was looking at the Coolrunnings site and a user reckoned the 310xt was all you needed.  I'd probably agree but it's big and ugly!!! 
Cost obviously is a factor. I would hope to get the full package for between 370-380 Euro.  Trekkinn.com which is located in Spain provide a full manufacturers warranty. As it happens I finally got a reply from them:-
'1. If, after receiving your item, there is a problem with it thats covered
by the manufacturers warranty, you can start a return claim on our
website. After us receiving the returned item, we have to send it to the
manufacturer for reparation, and send you one that works. All of the
shipping costs in this case are on our expense, you wont have to pay extra
for it if it is a warranty covered issue.'

If you know so where in Ireland that I can purchase for that kind of money I would gladly purchase from them.  But I have made enquiries locally and was given a price of 440!!! Ridiculous.
You thoughts on the above would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance Amphkingwest

AmphKingWest
AmphKingWest's picture

I take it you are not planning on getting the HRM with the 610? The 310xt is a different animal giving you waterproof abilities as well as compatability with bike sensors and power meters.
610 is a runners watch. I would highly recommend getting the HRM bundle if you are that serious about your training.
RRP for the FR610 is €395 without HRM or €435 including HRM.
RRP for the FR310xt bundle is €410. There is one online reduced to €370 which can be got through me which will suit your budget :)
If you want to contact me directly I can fit the 610 to your budget but the 610 with HRM would be a little outside the indicated budget.

wjwalker

That's just it I am very serious, or as serious as working family man can be!! I am doing between 55 and 60 miles pw including interval training plus gym. I do intend getting the HRM with the watch but if there is going to be a €60 or €70 price differential between Ireland and Spain for the same unit then it's a no brainer.  Spain wins.  Based on what Trekkinn tell me, and they are a Garmin AD, once I purchase I will have the unit in one day and if there are warranty issues thereafter they will take it back at their expense and replace it with a working unit. I also have insurance on my card against any unforeseen issues. That said thanks for the offer.

Thecourier

Hi Walker,
I was in your exact same shoes 2 months ago on whether I would go and chuck it all in and get the 610 forerunner or listen to the multitudes out there and decide to go older and cheaper. Im delighted to say that finances won the day and made my decision on cheaper and have not looked back since.
Ive been running nearly 6 weeks now with my forerunner 405 (which I bought of an Irish website based in Blanchardstown business park called elara.ie so if there are any issues you can drop it there) They also proved to be as cheap as trekkin but again I had heard about the bezel issues and was very concerned would I regret it. Well my answer is that I believe to a certain extent the bezel issue is a red herring (this is just my opinion). I have ran with it in the rain as well as sun, sweating my behind off with wolly gloves and it has not given me one bit of issue - the answer is locking the bezel when not using and unlocking when using (not brain science :-) ). You can also get a HRM with it and it costs over 100 less than what ur current budget is.
Again Im caveting this by saying this is my own opinion, I love the 405 now and I do think I have had the benefit of knowing what issues there was with it before I bought. I would be kicking myself if I spent over 400 on the 610. (im currently running 30-40miles which is lower than you just as a side note)
Hope this helps walker.

wjwalker

Hi Courier,
Thanks for the input.  I haven't purchased yet. However, I have come across some promo codes that will give me a further 5% off the list price. So for €352 delivered I can have a 610 with HRM....which at the moment would appear to be the best running GPS watch on the market!!  Any views...... particularly about using these promo codes would be welcome.  Have never used them before. Any catches??

jwalsh.design
jwalsh.design's picture

chainreactioncycles sell them too, do very good return service, around €397 with hrm.
They nearly always have vouchers on the go

Slowpoke (not verified)

Hi walker. I have had garmin for about 7 years now and recently bought the 610. It's a fantastic watch and the extra features over the old 405 made it worth the extra. The mile/km vibrate alert is excellent. There is nothing wrong with the 405 or the bezel but the 610 is a step above. I dealt with simplyelectronics to purchase.
Regards,
Slowpoke.

Seb
Seb's picture

If you are interested I have a 305 garmin for sale. I just got Nike+ watch from my dad.
Sebastien

joeoreilly
joeoreilly's picture

Yea, the battery on my 405 is going - wont last longer than 3 hours on a full charge...
To be honest, I dont get all the hasstle people have with the Bazel - no huge issues with it tbh
But very confused about which watch to go with, only run atm - focusing on marathons - but want to start doing Tri's in the next couple of years. So do I go with the 610 for the running stuff now, or get the 310 or 910 and have the huge ugly watch now but long term support for Tri stuff?

jwalsh.design
jwalsh.design's picture

To be honest mate, you can't buy a watch for something you might do in 2 years time.
There will probably be much smaller, cooler stuff around by then anyway.
If the 310 looks dated now it will be obsolete in 2014.
You have to buy for your current needs, not everything can be futureproof. Plus any gps will get you through a Triathlon.
So my advise, is buy a watch for running, but one that you can use for your first few Tri's also (if you do them). If you run x3 times a week for 2 years, thats only a €1 a session on a €300 watch. if your buying today, chainreactioncycles have €15 off by using EGG3

mitch03 (not verified)

i have bought the garmin 610 waiting for delivery cost 281 with hrm, best running watch around at the moment

EoinOB

Where did you get the 610 from Mitch? My 305 is pretty battered now!

Anonymous (not verified)

Hi Eoin I got it online from lanson running

Anonymous (not verified)

Hi Eoin I got it online from lanson running

EoinOB

Thanks, some really good prices there!

Anonymous (not verified)

610 is a disaster of a watch, wrist strap retaining pins keep falling out, charger attachment to back of watch is poor and scracthes/disclours wacthback, cardiac chest band is very uncomfortable and not reliable. Having to use a separate wireless USB antenna stick to gt data to your laptop or PC is painful. Polar HRM is much better fit & more reliable. I will not buy another garmin. For a multisport watch the 610 is only waterproof to 1 metre.

Joe86 (not verified)

Hi all just looking for some advice am looking to buy a watch with HRM barometer GPS etc what is the best watch out there with all of the above like the FR 610 but don't think it has a barometer was wondering about brand Garmin polar etc,watch will be used mostly for running,would appreciate some feedback if possible.

mitch103 (not verified)

Being using my 610 a lot and must say I think its a brilliant bit of kit and no problems wirhbwatxhbor hrm

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
Type the characters you see in this picture. (verify using audio)
Type the characters you see in the picture above; if you can't read them, submit the form and a new image will be generated. Not case sensitive.